Friday, July 22, 2011

Energy Bites, take 2!


I just want to say that I love the Energy Bites I made last week! As does everyone who tries them.  I decided this would be a great snack to take with me on my flight plus as a snack if I need a pick me up throughout the week.  I doubled the recipe and added different things.



Its delish! I would make it like this always. I have no desire to try anything else. Well, I might do Almond butter next time.


Energy Bites

  • 1 C nut organic Peanut butter with flaxseeds
  • 2/3 C honey (next time I will try it with agave since I am watching my GI)
  • 2 C old fashioned rolled oats.  (I didn't toast them this time, our oven isn't working but it adds some extra toasty flavor)
  • 2 C Additional dry ingredients. I added 3/4 c oat bran, 3/4 c flax meal and 1/2 c chopped walnuts (You could add shredded unsweetened coconut, wheat bran or germ, oat bran,  ground flax seed - I wouldn’t recommending using an entire cup unless you want to be in the bathroom all day - any kind of ground nuts or seeds.  For a cookie dough type bite try adding a few tablespoon of your favorite whole grain flour.  
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • pinch of sea salt if using a natural nut butter with no added salt
  • 1-2 tsp your favorite spices or spice combinations (optional)  I added Cinnamon 3 good heaps
  • 1 C other addins, I added finely chopped prunes. (any kind of whole or roughly chopped nuts or seeds, dried fruit, good quality chocolate chips, etc) 
Mix then shape into balls, I use a "cookie" scoop.


*I added an extra 1/4 c oat bran because it was softer than I wanted the balls to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment