Thursday, October 2, 2014

Yummy Turkey Enchilada Casserole

I recently found a delicious recipe for a Turkey Enchilada Casserole, so as a lover all food Mexican, of course I decided to test it out.

The first time I made it, although I didn't know the maker of the recipe, I doubled the recipe and followed it exactly as it was made, adding only some chopped bell pepper and sliced olives into the recipe.  I loved it so much, I've decided to make it once again! Only this time with some changes.

I've edited the recipe to include my latest edits, otherwise you can see the original recipe with the link above. While I loved the flavor, I didnt feel the need for the tortilla but wanted more veggies.


Turkey Enchilada Casserole

Cook time: ~35 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
Serving size: 1/12 of recipe

Ingredients

1 lb lean ground turkey breast (I bought a package which was 20oz)
1 onions, chopped (medium - use more or less to your taste)
couple cloves garlic, minced (I love garlic so I used ~3 or 4)
2 bell peppers chopped (I used one yellow, one red)
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
2 15 oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
2 10 oz can Rotel® Original Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies, drained (any brand works)
2 cups reduced-fat sour cream
1 cup yellow corn, if canned, drain & rinse (I used an 11 oz can of “Mexican style corn”)
6.5 oz can of slice black olives
½ cup low-fat cottage cheese
½ tsp garlic powder
2 10 oz can red enchilada sauce
shredded cheddar cheese

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Coat a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray after lining it with aluminum foil (makes clean up easier).

In a large nonstick pan, cook the ground turkey, onions, garlic, chili powder and cumin over medium-high heat until onions are tender and turkey is no longer pink. Add peppers and cook a few minutes longer.

Stir in black beans and tomatoes and mix well. Remove from heat and set aside. I had to empty contents into a bowl to properly mix the ingredients. 

In a small bowl, stir together sour cream, corn, olives, cottage cheese and garlic powder.

Pour half the turkey mixture into the pan, follow with half the sour cream mixture and half the enchilada sauce then sprinkle with a little cheese. Repeat layers minus the cheese.

Bake covered for 30-35 minutes until heated through. Remove from oven and sprinkle cheese evenly over the top of the casserole.

Bake uncovered for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. 


Remove from oven and let sit for about 10 minutes to set.

No comments:

Post a Comment