Monday, August 10, 2015

Plant-based Pad Thai

Everytime I post pictures online of what I've made, I get many requests for the recipes! I realized today that while I thought I've been posting them online, my bog posts have just been saved to "draft"! I'll have to check and see why tis is happening, but in the meantime....


This is a recipe I got from the Forks Over Knives recipe app I downloaded from the app store. I recommend it. Its only a couplw bucks and its worth it!

I would have shared the link to the recipe, but this particular recipe isn't on their website!



I made this dish two weeks in a row; it was delicious, and the first time it stayed at someone elses house, so I wanted to make my own!  

After having made it once, I wanted to make a few changes to the recipe.  I found there wasn't quite enough sauce the first time (although I didn't use all the right ingredients... ).  I also wanted to add more vegetables and some tofu. 

 I know I didn't plate it like you're supposed to.  I assumed this would be the best way for me to keep it for the next day. Otherwise I feared the noodles would all stick together.




Quick and Light Pad Thai

Ingredients

  • 1 cup cauliflower
  • 1 tomato
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 inch ginger
  • 2 Thai red chiles
  • 2 tbsp unsalted peanut butter
  • 1 tbsp tamari
  • 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
  • 1½ tsp tamarind paste
  • ½ red bell pepper
  • 1 cup bok choy
  • ½ cup snap peas
  • ½ cup carrots
  • 1 8 oz pack flat brown rice Pad Thai noodles
  • ¼ cup scallions
  • 2 tbsp cilantro
  • 2 tbsp Thai basil
  • ½ juiced lime
  • 2 tbsp peanuts

Directions

Roast the peanuts in a skillet on low heat for about 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool. Crush into small bits using a mortar and pestle. If you don’t have a mortar and pestle, wrap the peanuts in a cloth or paper towel so that they cannot fall out, then smash them lightly into small bits, using a spoon or a ladle. Set aside for later.

Place the cauliflower in a pan with 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, and cook until the cauliflower is soft when poked with a fork, 4-5 minutes. Drain the water and let the cauliflower cool.

To make the peanut sauce, place the cauliflower, tomato, garlic, ginger, chiles, peanut butter, tamari, vinegar, and tamarind paste in a blender. Blend into a sauce, and transfer to a large saucepan for later.

Steam the bell peppers, bok choy, snap peas, and carrots, one or two types at a time, until they are crunchy yet soft (about 10 to 15 minutes total for all of the vegetables). Set aside for later.

Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot, about 7 to 10 minutes. Add the noodles and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or follow the instructions on the package. Drain and quickly run under cold water to prevent the noodles from sticking.

Meanwhile, heat the peanut sauce on low, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add all the vegetables and cook briefly, until they heat through. If the sauce begins to thicken, add water, a few tablespoons at a time.

To serve, place the rice noodles on a platter or individual plates. Top with the vegetables in peanut sauce. Garnish with the scallions, cilantro, basil, and crushed peanuts. Squeeze some lime juice on top and serve hot.










If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it! Post a picture and show it off!

No comments:

Post a Comment