Monday, May 18, 2015

Pizza with Creamed Spinach

I have a contendor for you for Meatless Monday! (For me its Meatless Daily!)  Pizza with Creamed Spinach. What a yummy pizza! It almost tastes like spinach dip on bread!


I got the recipe from the Forks Over Knives phone application (it's not on their website), but here is the recipe online. Whats listed below is how I made it (For instance, I dislike sundried tomatoes so I left them out!)

Pizza with Creamed Spinach

Ingredients:
1 12oz. pack firm or extra-firm silken tofu (I used regular - not silken)
1 10oz. pack frozen spinach
1 yellow onion
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp dried dill
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
2 pizza crusts (I made them at home, rolled to 12-in rounds)
1 cup kalamata olives

Steps:
In a blender, puree the tofu until smooth. Set aside.

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Lay a clean kitchen towel or several layers of paper towel on the counter and place the thawed spinach at the bottom of one short end. Roll the spinach in the towel and, holding it over the sink, twist either end of the roll to squeeze as much liquid out of the spinach as you can. Unroll and set aside.

Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the yellow onion and cook, stirring occasionally. Add water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, as needed to keep the onion from sticking, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and dill and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the pureed tofu and the spinach, along with the nutritional yeast. Cook to warm through, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and remove from the heat.

Place the dough on large baking sheets (I baked my pizza dough about 10-12 minutes at 350F before taking it out and topping them). Divide the spinach mixture evenly between the crusts, and spread it to cover the crusts evenly. Top with the chopped olives (I didn't have red onion so I ommited it).

Bake until the edges are browned slightly and the pizzas are warmed all the way through, about 15 minutes. Slice and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment