Monday, September 14, 2009

Monday Ramble...

So I’ve been busy the last week or so, I never blogged about my class!

It was a bit daunting! Everyone in the class seems to be in the TESOL program and, unlike me, this is not their first taste of 1) Teaching or 2) this program. The syllabus, which I believe I mentioned, was HUGE (16 pages) and once I finally finished reading it all, I was a bit worried, but after the class on Tuesday, I think I feel a little better about it? Maybe.

I’m still a bit worried about the 25 page proposal I have to write for the class, however I think that the whole semester will build up to it, and by the end I will be good to go.

In the last week I have seen my mom on a couple occasions tell people about my masters’ class, I can tell she’s pretty proud. All she ever wanted was the best for me and for her that meant a college degree which I finally got at 27 yrs old and now I’m working on a masters. I’m not doing this for her, I’m doing it for me, but I’m glad she’s happy about it too…

Anyway, so because I missed the first class, I have double the reading to do for tomorrow’s class… and boy is it hard. On of the readings (an article online) was such an easy read, but the book. It’s so hard, there’s so much other BS in it and citation and what not, it takes away from the flow. Its not a book, its this authors research… and its interesting at parts, and QUITE boring at other parts…

I think a distracting part of this book is the fact that as I read the stories and research and whatnot, I am reminded of my OWN experience with being a new child in the USA not knowing any English. I remember the "silent period" well. We had an ice cream party when I finally said my first words in class – a year after moving here! One of my brothers’ customers actually said to him, "Oh! Your sister is the girl who had the ice cream party for talking!" I mean 21 years later to remember this and who I am… amazing!

Anyway, I’m excited about it.

So yesterday was "Stitch & Pitch" at the Bluefish game in Bridgeport and I have to give Dom (the organizer, who also started my Sat morning stitch and pitch) because he did an AWESOME job!!! I must have walked out with at least 50 bucks with of goodies! (Not to mention my mom gave me all her yarn because she is not going to knit anything). It was well worth my $10 ticket!

I did tell Dom he out did himself, because, well, he did! And he deserves some props for it!

2 comments:

  1. i'm so glad you like your class! it sounds like a challenge, but Phone Sex Ani can do anything she puts her mind to!
    love,
    tata

    ReplyDelete