Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Energy Bites

I liked the idea of these little "energy balls" - I like the no bake, sweet, healthy aspects of this.


The recipe is basically a add this, this and that, and then one of these, one of these... etc.


Next time I would use smaller chopped nuts, otherwise I liked it.  These will be a great snack for out little road trip (well, drive really) to RI Thursday.  I can't wait to try more combinations. 




Energy Bites
makes approximately 2 dozen depending on size
  • 1/2 C nut butter (almond butter, peanut butter, sunflower seed butter or any other nut or seed butter.  Anything will work here) I used Chunky peanut butter (that should have been the reminder to not use the walnuts)
  • 1/3 C honey (Honey works best because its liquidity yet thick, not runny like agave etc.)
  • 1 C old fashioned rolled oats.  I toasted for some extra flavor
  • 1 C shredded unsweetened coconut, but you can substitute any dry ingredients for this, wheat bran or germ, oat bran, some ground flax seed (I wouldn’t recommending using an entire cup unless you want to be in the bathroom all day), any kind of ground nuts or seeds.  For a cookie dough type bite try adding a few tablespoon of your favorite whole grain flour.  I used 1/2 c oat bran and 1/2 c chunky cut walnuts. Next time I would do the whole amount oat bran. I would have liked to have added 1/4 - 1/2 c flax, but I was out.
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • pinch of sea salt if using a natural nut butter with no added salt
  • 1-2 tsp your favorite spices or spice combinations (optional)  I added Cinnamon 
  • 1/2 C other addins (any kind of whole or roughly chopped nuts or seeds, dried fruit, good quality chocolate chips, etc)  I added mini-chocolate chips, but too soon after I had heated the mixture, it all melted.
In a large bowl add the nut butter, honey or other sweetener, vanilla and salt if needed.  If all your ingredients are room temperature you should be able to stir to combine.  If this is difficult you can warm in the microwave for a few seconds or even place the bowl in an inch or two hot water for a few minutes to soften everything.  Once this is combined add the remaining ingredients.


Mix well.  Once it’s all combined place in the fridge till firm.  Then remove, scoop out the "dough" and roll into a ball. You don't have to have a scoop, but as I've said before, I prefer scoops, everything is nice and uniform.

If yours are too sticky you can considering adding more dry ingredients into them or rolling them in something like ground nuts, coconut, etc so they aren’t as sticky (or just a little but of a flour but not much).  Place the balls in an airtight container either in the fridge or freezer for quick and easy snacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment