Saturday, March 28, 2009

Vegetarian or Vegan... or NOT!

Okay, I've been thinking about becoming a vegetarian for at least a year now, ever since I read 8 Weeks to Optimum Health by Dr Andrew Weil. He's a very smart man, in my opinion, and I appreciate his books (he has many) because he explains what you should do and why you should do each thing, backing it up with medical reasons. Plus he's a doctor who studied botany besides the medical field. Since I read 8 Weeks its been on my mind that I might want to become vegetarian. But the kind that still eats fish, Dr Weil talks about the importance of fish, but notes if you don't fish its cool too. I'm one of those people who eats meat ever other day or so but I enjoy it every time and I can't imagine cutting it out, but I figured I would think about it.


Cut to a few weeks ago. N tarts talking about this book she NEEDS TO FIND! Then before I know it she has found it, bought it, read it and LOVES IT! Then I find out M also has read the book and also loved it. The book? Skinny Bitch. I'm not yet finished with the books so maybe I shouldn't say anything yet, but I can't hold my tongue! Well let's not lie, I haven't been holding my tongue that well, I tweet and change my facebook status about my feelings about the book a little bit.


Some quotes from the book:


Fruits and vegetables are the answer. And unless you are an idiot who wants cancer, obesity, and enlarged organs, organic is the way to go. You are what you eat


Then about soy foods... they

taste so good, your pubes will fall out.
Then goes on to say how a particular brand of food
is so amazing, you might just have t kill yourself.


The book is blunt: Stop smoking because it kills your taste buds and it makes you smell.

The book is unnecessarily rude: If you don't stop smoking you're a dumbass who deserves to be a fat big.


WTF?! Bluntness is good; some people are so slow that if you aren't blunt with them they don't get it. But the crude, rude and disgustingness?! NOT NEEDED


I almost don't want to be a vegetarian to spite the book, but I've been thinking about it and toying with the idea for a while and if I do change my ways it will be in spite of the book.


Like I said, I have been thinking about it. I don't know that I could ever become a full blown vegan, but I could take out meat products. I understand why they aren't meant for humans, I understand all the ideas about it. But I love meat, and I can't imagine not eating. I bet most of my reason is that I'm lazy. I'll have to learn to cook tofu? I never knew you COOK TOFU!!


I'll need to learn more about cooking without meats. Its a lot to learn. Well, we'll see what I decide. I'll probably start small and see how I feel and little by little cut things out until I can't anymore and see how my body likes it.


Become a vegetarian, for me, is not about the animals. I'm sorry, but it isn't, for me its about my health and my body. Changing my eating habits is about maybe myself a better me. I have a feeling I'm going to be one of those people who lives forever, so I might as well have a happy, healthy life, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment